Saturday, August 23, 2008

Gunjil's Family Reunion/Gathering

Yes, some more. SAM MOAAAAA~!!!

Gunjil? My mother said Gunjil is the name of my great-grandfather from her side. And the reason his name is so weird is because he is a Dusun(-ese?). One of my proud heritage. Then again, you could say it is pretty common to find Dusun blood nowadays in anyone, I guess. At least in Brunei. Although, I think not as common as Kedayan? Or some other "puak"?

My mother is a Dusun, and her family is so diverse. So many faces and religions, all under the Gunjil name. Some are married to Malays, some are married to Chinese, some are probably married to other Dusuns. Some are muslims, some are christians, some are buddhists, yet we all gathered that one day, under the name of Gunjil. Some live in Brunei, some live in Tutong, some from Belait. I'm not sure if there were any from Temburong.

It's very unfortunate that I didn't even introduce myself to the many family members I have. I guess that was the point of the games, but still, they seem to only stick with people they know. Like I did. I am just simply to shy to make the first move, and well, no one else did. The games were really fun, although I didn't participate in any.

It's such a pity that I'm not close with this side of my family. My dad's side is more "urban". Not saying that they aren't, but with the family elders still living in kampongs, leading the kampong life, it's certainly a different side to my normal life. Especially since they decided to do this family gathering in a Balai Raya (community hall, I think?) instead of some fancy schmancy restaurant when I'm sure they can afford it.

The event itself was pretty normal, very casual. The opening was very special, though. They wanted to honour the four eldest members of the family, including my grandmother, who is the oldest of the eldest at 95 years old. Very proud of her. The eldest son/daughter of each of them are to present a gold ring and place it on their fingers. The emcee said that there is a tradition when it is forbidden to mention the names of the elders, so they can only refer to them by saying, "Ibu kepada..." (mother to...) for example.

So anyway, it was a great day, especially since I get to spend time with my grandma which I normally don't get to do because she lives in Tutong and my mum almost always leaves me behind :/

1 comment:

Sherly said...

Heys! I'm probably one of your second cousins twice removed or something, since Gunjil's my grandpa.. Just found your post on the internet =D Completely understood where you're coming from with the 'shy' factor.. Neways, hope we can meet at the next gathering! =)