Monday, May 21, 2007

Future?

Today, during Economics, we barely study about anything at all. Instead, we had a long and noisy debate with Mr. James about why the forest in Kalimantan is burnt down instead of cutting it down. It all started when he saw our recycling box and thought it was all hocus-pocus about recycling and how he actually tried to move our minds from being environmentalists to money-minded-ist since last year. Throughout the time, I was thinking, can't I love money and nature at the same time?

Anyway, as an economist, he supported Kalimantan burning down the forest, rather than cutting it down since they wouldn't have to think about labour and machinery costs rewuired to bring down the forest. Basically, this was what our conversation was like:-

Me: Sir! Why can't they just cut down the trees, and use them for furniture and paper manufacturing? You still get profit!
Him: Yes, but the cost of cutting down the forest exceeds the profit of making furniture, so what's the use?

Nisa: But Sir, what if they were fined?
Him: If they were fined that will be a different case! Then they'll do logging to decrease the cost
Me: What if people die because of the pollution! The smoke reaches Brunei all the time and affects us as well! Can't they be considerate?
Him: Not 'if', as a matter of fact, people have died due to the pollution caused by the fire, but since the law hasn't taken action, the companies don't care, so that's why they continue to do this!
Zirah: Wouldn't it ruin the image of that company? Surely there should be boycotts and protests about this, causing political and economical disturbance of all sorts!
Him: Yes, but unfortunately, the government, the officials haven't done anything about it yet, so while they still have the chance, they will still do it!
Me: can't they just do selective logging? Just do logging at the parts we need and leave the rest unharmed! We save money, we get profit and we clean up our environment at the same time!
Him: Yes, but that still requires money to do so! If you burn the forest, you just pour petrol, light a match, and you're done! They don't care about the environment unless it affects their social image! Like Nike, the only reason they have become environmental-friendly was because of this! People discovered they used child labour and sales decreases! To avoid that, all they need to do is to be environmental-friendly and sales are up again! It's all just like that.

The debate is just so long. I can still remember everything but I couldn't bother to type anymore. Nisa and I talked the most. I was surprisingly energetic during the debate and poured out all my ideas. Everyone was. Sir too. Surprisingly, we were quiet when the lesson started, and Mr James himself was reading very dully and we were bored. SO he decided to put the notes away and continue the debate. And well, the class was noisy again. We went from the pollution issue to millionaires who wants self-actualisation after getting the money they want and in the end, he admitted that even as businesspeople we should still care about the environment. Don't go overboard. So he finally gave up. lawl well, at least we had fun. But then someone suggested to have an actual debate, that I do not want.

Then, after everything settled down, and Mr James finally siiting down, we talked about the LiveWire Business Awards 2007. I really, really wanted to join it, and I will. I feel really motivated at the moment. because even if you don't win, you'll still get a certificate, and that certificate will help when you want to apply for schools or universities or scholarships connected to Business. Weeeeeeeee~

I think this business stuff is running in the family. Look, me grandpapa, me papa, me aunt, me uncle and me cousin, all got business! Err...yeah. My grandad and dad, not exactly business la, but they are property holders, as my dad says. Now, the nect generation, particularly Manda and me, yeah, we like Business. She takes Commerce and i take Economics, and we can helop eachother. Only Qils doesn't look like one for business though, sad.

Currently, my brain is still restless after the debate. Somehow the adrenaline is still in my blood. Wait, do they secrete adrenaline during debates? Whatever la, because right now, I'm currently having fun debating with my friends.

No comments: